A Jamaican Christmas celebration is not complete without the traditional Jamaican Christmas Fruit Cake.It has been a favored gift amongst Jamaicans during the Christmas season.This dark and spongy cake is a labour of love that is rich in flavours from rum soaked fruits. It is very popular during the Christmas time and is often served with sorrel. Also known as Christmas Cake or Black Cake.
- 6 oz or 1.5 cups flour
- 8 oz margarine or butter
- 8 oz sugar
- 12 eggs
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz mixed peel
- 4 oz cherries
- 1/2 prunes (chopped)
- 1 cup wine/brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- finely grated rind of 1 lime/lemon
- 2 teaspoon of browning (or brunt sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1Cream butter,sugar and browning until soft and fluffy.
- 2Sieve all dry ingredients together.
- 3Beat,eggs,wine/brandy together.
- 4Add egg mixture to creamed butter and sugar.
- 5Add fruits.
- 6Add flour and fold in. Do not over-beat when mixing.
- 7Place mixture in baking tin and place in oven.
- 8Bake at 350 F for 1/2 hours.